Psience Quest

Full Version: Draft for comment: Guidelines for reproducing external content
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
We forum founders are concerned that guidelines for reproducing external content are agreed upon and put into place. Here is what we propose. Comments welcome:

--- Begin proposed guidelines ---

When reproducing on Psience Quest content from elsewhere, we need to be both courteous and law-abiding.

To be law-abiding means to respect copyright restrictions on the reproduction of the content of others, but beyond that, courtesy anyway suggests not reproducing significant portions of the work of others without their consent, and, for the sake of both readers of the forum and the content's original author, providing both attribution and sourcing for all external content.

We ask then that members follow these guidelines:

1. Do not reproduce content in full or in significant part* unless one or more of the following hold:
    • The content is not copyright and is therefore in the public domain. This is the case when one or more of the following apply:
      • Its copyright has expired, or,
      • Its author has explicitly released it into the public domain, or,
      • Its copyright has been forfeited, for example by its being published in the USA without a copyright notice prior to March 1, 1989, the effective date of the Berne Convention Implementation Act, or,
      • It is a work of the US Government.
    • The content is copyright but has been licensed by its author under a so-called "copyleft" licence that permits its reproduction on our forum, for example, one of the Creative Commons licences or the GNU Free Documentation License.
    • You have contacted the author and s/he has explicitly given you permission to post his/her content in full to the forum. In this case, please state when reproducing the content that you have sought and received permission from the author.
  2. Limited excerpts of external content may always be reproduced, in keeping with the "fair use" provision of copyright law (see What Is Fair Use? and More Information on Fair Use). The most relevant aspect of the fair use provision in the context of our forum is content reproduced for the purposes of comment and criticism.
  3. Always, whether reproducing content in full or reproducing only excerpts:
    • Differentiate the reproduced content from your own words in a clear way, such as by enclosing it between markers something like "--- Begin quoted article ---" and "--- End quoted article ---", or by using the forum's "quote" function, or by otherwise styling it, for example by changing its font type, colour, or size, or by italicising, emboldening, or underlining it.
    • Provide attribution: supply both the name of the original author/publisher and the original source of the content, linking to that source if possible.

A moderator may - either privately or publicly - request that the author of a post failing to comply with these guidelines bring it into compliance. Should the author refuse or fail to respond in a timely fashion, a moderator may edit the post to bring it into compliance.

* A "significant part" of a work is roughly that which exceeds the maximum portion beyond which reproduction without permission is discourteous to the original author, as well as that which exceeds the maximum portion compatible with the "fair use" provision of copyright law for copyright works reproduced without permission. For our purposes on this forum, we might say that for text it is anything more than roughly three or four short paragraphs.

--- End proposed guidelines ---
Sounds good. Smile

I have a habit of wanting to copy articles in full just in case they disappear from the the internet due to a website expiring or servers crashing temporarily. Oh well...
(2018-01-21, 07:54 PM)Valmar Wrote: [ -> ]Sounds good. Smile

I have a habit of wanting to copy articles in full just in case they disappear from the the internet due to a website expiring or servers crashing temporarily. Oh well...

Hey, if you're worried about that, then you have other options.
(2018-01-21, 08:12 PM)Laird Wrote: [ -> ]Hey, if you're worried about that, then you have other options.

True enough. I've done this in the past, but had forgotten it was an option, lol... :/
Given that it's been a week and nobody's suggested any changes or objected to the draft, it seems safe to adopt these guidelines. I've created a new thread for them in the "Forum guidelines" forum: Guidelines for reproducing external content.
Here's a question.

What if the original content is only available in some foreign language, and someone wishes to offer their own translation. I've a feeling that this might breach these rules, but the alternative seems to not post it at all?

Chris

(2018-01-29, 09:46 AM)Typoz Wrote: [ -> ]Here's a question.

What if the original content is only available in some foreign language, and someone wishes to offer their own translation. I've a feeling that this might breach these rules, but the alternative seems to not post it at all?

I think publishing a translation without the author's permission would legally be a breach of copyright. (Unless you're Google, of course, because Google has a blanket immunity from copyright law.)
I think Chris is right on this: publishing translations (at least in full) of copyright items requires permission. Aside from the legal concern, it's just common courtesy to ask for this permission.

As best I can tell - and somebody with better knowledge of copyright law can correct this if it's wrong: just as for untranslated content, the "fair use" provision protects the reproduction of translations of reasonably-sized excerpts.

One option for people who want to provide a full translation of an article but don't want to go to the trouble of getting permission is to provide a link to an automatic translation by Google Translate.

Chris

(2018-01-29, 11:16 AM)Laird Wrote: [ -> ]I think Chris is right on this: publishing translations (at least in full) of copyright items requires permission. Aside from the legal concern, it's just common courtesy to ask for this permission.

As best I can tell - and somebody with better knowledge of copyright law can correct this if it's wrong: just as for untranslated content, the "fair use" provision protects the reproduction of translations of reasonably-sized excerpts.

One option for people who want to provide a full translation of an article but don't want to go to the trouble of getting permission is to provide a link to an automatic translation by Google Translate.

Or I guess many authors would be happy to give permission for a translation to be put online, if it's accurate and gives credit to them for the original authorship.