Psience Quest

Full Version: Things may be stored differently from the way I experience them
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
For some
'Information' isn't stored. Information is accessed from parallel realities which we automatically choose (unconsciously) as it is needed and relevant.

You did a good job on the 4D analysis btw maybe this will help.

Think of space-time as a 100% thing. The more space you have, the less time is involved. Versa-visa.
Why do two 2-dimensional sheets give you 4 dimensions?

~~ Paul
(2017-10-23, 08:49 AM)Max_B Wrote: [ -> ]I'm assuming you mean at 2)? ...I've simply added the minimum number of coordinates needed to define a location on these unconnected 2-D sheets (spaces) together, as a way of trying to explain an idea.

To specify a location among two 2-dimensional surfaces, we need {0,1}, x, y. That doesn't get us the third and fourth continuum dimensions. Yet you said it equals 4D. That's what has me confused.

~~ Paul
(2017-10-23, 07:49 PM)Max_B Wrote: [ -> ]I don't understand the maths you've written, so can't really help.

To specify any point on two 2-dimensional surfaces, we must specify which surface (0 or 1), then the x, y position on that surface. What we don't have is a complete 4-dimensional continuum, where we would specify x, y, z, w. Two 2-dimensional surfaces are not equivalent to one 4-dimensional hyperspace.

~~ Paul

Chris

If it's analogous to 3D space + 1D time = 4D, then it's not a question of specifying one or the other, and then a location in the one you've specified. Each point will have a location in both of the 2D spaces - that is, 4 coordinates, which does amount to a 4D space.

I'm not saying I really understand it, mind you.
(2017-10-23, 08:41 PM)Chris Wrote: [ -> ]If it's analogous to 3D space + 1D time = 4D, then it's not a question of specifying one or the other, and then a location in the one you've specified. Each point will have a location in both of the 2D spaces - that is, 4 coordinates, which does amount to a 4D space.
It's two points, one in each of the 2D spaces, because you can't allow:

point A at 1, 2 and 3, 4
point B at 5, 6 and 3, 4

If you do, then two points are sharing the same position on the second surface.

~~ Paul

Chris

(2017-10-23, 08:51 PM)Paul C. Anagnostopoulos Wrote: [ -> ]It's two points, one in each of the 2D spaces, because you can't allow:

point A at 1, 2 and 3, 4
point B at 5, 6 and 3, 4

If you do, then two points are sharing the same position on the second surface.

But two different points in four-dimensional spacetime can share the same position on the time axis, and still be different points in spacetime.

Imagine "Flatland" rewritten by J. W. Dunne, so you'd have two dimensions of space and two of time. (Actually, I think Dunne had infinitely many dimensions of time, but just think about two.) Then that space-time is four-dimensional (2+2) just like conventional (3+1) spacetime.
(2017-10-23, 09:04 PM)Chris Wrote: [ -> ]But two different points in four-dimensional spacetime can share the same position on the time axis, and still be different points in spacetime.
That's because it's a 4-dimensional continuum, so the two points are in different places. But with two 2-dimensional surfaces, things get confusing.

Is each point really a pair of points, one on each surface? You might be able to work it out if you think of it this way.

But you said "... here I'll discuss information as if it were stored in just 2 dimensions." That suggests that you really mean information to require only two coordinates.

Anyhoo, I'm beating this up more than it needs to be.

~~ Paul