Psience Quest

Full Version: Ecosia search engine
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
(post deleted by user)
How about those of us who use ad-blockers?
(2017-09-21, 12:58 PM)Laird Wrote: [ -> ]How about those of us who use ad-blockers?

Can you not create a white list that includes Ecosia?
(2017-09-21, 01:04 PM)Brian Wrote: [ -> ]Can you not create a white list that includes Ecosia?

I can, but I won't. I don't recognise advertising as a legitimate means of raising funds. I don't want to live in a world where corporations shove their products in my face every opportunity they get.
(2017-09-21, 01:05 PM)Laird Wrote: [ -> ]I can, but I won't. I don't recognise advertising as a legitimate means of raising funds. I don't want to live in a world where corporations shove their products in my face every opportunity they get.

Personally, I'm quite happy for businesses to give something back but maybe I'm missing something. Confused
(2017-09-21, 01:08 PM)Brian Wrote: [ -> ]Personally, I'm quite happy for businesses to give something back but maybe I'm missing something. Confused

I'm happy for businesses to give something back too - but not when what they've taken in the first place has come at the cost of my attention to whatever-the-hell it is they're selling. Advertising should be banned. Most of it is lies or subliminal programming anyway. Hardly the most ethical means of selling products - and then they turn around and say, "But hey, we're ethical - we're planting trees with your attention". No, sorry, that doesn't work. Plant trees by all means, but not funded out of trapping people into paying attention to your shitty selling points.
(2017-09-21, 01:13 PM)Laird Wrote: [ -> ]I'm happy for businesses to give something back too - but not when what they've taken in the first place has come at the cost of my attention to whatever-the-hell it is they're selling. Advertising should be banned. Most of it is lies or subliminal programming anyway. Hardly the most ethical means of selling products - and then they turn around and say, "But hey, we're ethical - we're planting trees with your attention". No, sorry, that doesn't work. Plant trees by all means, but not funded out of trapping people into paying attention to your shitty selling points.

I've done a few searches with this engine and I didn't even notice the ads until I looked for them.  Guess I've just got used to them being around.  They are obviously not very intrusive.  As for subliminal programming, the evidence that such is possible is incredibly weak and the examples I have seen that are supposed to support it are laughable.  I never pay attention to ads unless I have an interest in the product already - not very effective brainwashing I think.
Well, the sort of "subliminal programming" I'm thinking of can be as blunt as "I recognise that product from the ads, so I'll buy it rather than a competitor's". But in any case, I'm sorry for pouring cold water on your thread and OP. I do totally support the planting of trees. I'll bow out here.
(2017-09-21, 01:36 PM)Laird Wrote: [ -> ]Well, the sort of "subliminal programming" I'm thinking of can be as blunt as "I recognise that product from the ads, so I'll buy it rather than a competitor's". But in any case, I'm sorry for pouring cold water on your thread and OP. I do totally support the planting of trees. I'll bow out here.

I see your point.  I didn't consider it pouring cold water, if there are problems with what I post I am glad if people point them out and I always suspected you would be in favour of planting trees.  For what it is worth, in most situations I don't like advertising either.